Did you know that carbon monoxide is responsible for over 400 deaths every year and sends thousands of people to the emergency room? Don’t become one of those statistics by educating yourself and being proactive to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Why is carbon monoxide dangerous?
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas produced when fuels that contain carbon do not fully burn. When inhaled, this poisonous gas decreases oxygen in the bloodstream. However, this poisonous gas is odorless, colorless and tasteless giving it the nickname “silent killer.”
Do you have CO detectors?
The first line of defense against carbon monoxide poisoning is your army of CO detectors – and placement is key. When purchasing a CO detector, check to see that it meets the UL standard 2034.
Ideally, you should have a CO detector in all major areas of the house. If your home is multi-story, place at least one CO detector on each floor. If you only have one CO detector, it should be placed as close to the bedrooms as possible because you are most likely to suffer carbon monoxide poisoning while sleeping.
It is suggested that you place CO detectors at about knee level because this is the approximate height at which you will be sleeping.
After installing the CO detectors, you should replace the batteries two times a year – try replacing them for the Daylight Savings time change twice a year to help you remember.
Are you taking the proper care to ensure your fireplace doesn’t cause carbon monoxide poisoning?
Annual inspections of your fireplace are extremely important. Don’t wait until there is a problem; be proactive and get an inspection to spot a problem before it causes an issue.
Always make sure the flue is open when using the fireplace – if not, you’re trapping the carbon monoxide indoors. Review the manufacturer’s guidelines and recommendations to verify that you are taking all necessary precautions.
Make sure to check your vents often to make sure there isn’t something blocking them – and during extreme weather events like storms and snow, you’ll need to be extra careful.
What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?
Carbon monoxide is even more dangerous because many times, the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning resemble other common illnesses. When you inhale too much carbon monoxide, the symptoms include shortness of breath, dizziness, nausea, headaches and confusion. If you think you might be suffering from carbon monoxide exposure, seek medical attention immediately.
Don’t let carbon monoxide spoil the fun this winter – enjoy your fireplace all season long by taking the precautions necessary to prevent carbon monoxide exposure.